Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sometimes you can't tune a piano...

I just changed the image to the right of my blog posts yesterday to a photo of our new computer desk. It's a lovely old piano (late 1800s) that can't be tuned anymore (ok. it can be if we replace the strings to the tune of $2600+). We've been debating what to do with it for years and, lacking any woodworking skills, our options seemed limited. Then I thought I might be able to just remove the front panels and somehow store books in it. Having removed the panels to reveal the lovely wood and workings I suddenly had the brainwave - computer table. Add it fit perfectly! I would eventually like to replace the white board over the keys (an old cupboard door that I needed to saw about 1cm off of) with a heavy piece of glass so you could see the keys. The cool thing about the piano desk is that it still plays. You can ping the strings directly, work some of the keys below the board, and even just sneeze (!) to get some lovely out of tune sounds from the piano.


Then today I was perusing Core77, a very interesting design blog, when I saw this!


The post shows how they did it. (My project was WAAAY easier!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...