Tuesday, April 3, 2012

WInklepedia Part 3, Plus Other Stuff

A couple of months ago I commented on a post by LibraryGirl over at Living In The Kingdom Of Too Much. It was related to Kathie Winkle obsession and I counted my dishes. The result was not pretty and has just qualified me to be on an episode of "Almost Hoarders" for those who are just pathetic and not pathologic. Anyway, on the weekend I decided to get on with the gardening and plant some early seeds - peas, lettuce, arugula. And when I opened my lovely gardening box, I found (tada!) four or five more Winkle plates, all with cracks or bad crazing or chips. So these are now planted in the garden. Hopefully, they will not produce fruit (egads! there is really NO MORE ROOM!)

surrounding the asparagus patch


and the horehound (can you see the pathetic little thing in the middle? can't get it to grow - I need enough to make candy this year or I'm giving up on it!)

Volunteers
Also, I discovered while cleaning up the beds that arugula seeds had planted themselves from the plants I left in the garden, some in the path and some in the garden. The sprouts are already about an inch high. (:squeal of glee:).



As Pair of Guys
Also, peaking out of their tidy holes already are two asparagii (sp?).


Rhubarb Redux
And the rhubarb has been treated to a dressing of not-quite-finished compost. It is already making a comeback (even the bits that were completely trampled). Yeah!


Peas Support Our Cause
Here is my new pea trellis - the au natural look. (Of course, I expect the peas will grow up and not sideways despite the photo). 



And Finally Rick Mercer
The high school I teach at raised the most money of all schools across Canada in the Spread The Net school challenge (actually we raised 1/5 of the money raised by all the 47 schools in the challenge!) The school that raises the most money gets featured on the Rick Mercer Report. For those of you outside Canada, the RMR is a weekly comedy "newsmagazine" style tv show. It is very political and quite funny. One of the best parts is Rick Mercer's weekly rant on the stupidest things going on in politics at the moment. He featured our local MP, Dean Delmastro, a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, our show is on TONIGHT - he gave our school 7 minutes AND his rant is about the closing of our school. Watch if you can. 8pm tonight on CBC tv in Canada. I'll post the youtube link later if I can.

Cheers.


1 comment:

  1. such a good idea for the cracked and chipped winkles. love it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...