Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Wee Dent

Well, after 20 or more wheelbarrow loads of compost, I have managed to make a wee dent in the side of the massive compost pile on my lawn. What was I thinking? Three and a half yards of compost could cover every garden on the street! Well, I've now put at least an inch on all my flower beds. I have put an inch on some of the veggie beds and will work them in later this week. Joe has added four or five loads to the former sandbox and this is what remains. Compare and be awed by my hard work (and sore back).

Day 1. Friday. Untouched. 3.5yards.


Day 2. Saturday. 5 hours work. About 14 barrowfuls.

Day 3. Sunday. 4 more hours of hauling. About 10 more wheelbarrows. (And still enough to feed every earthworm in the northern hemisphere and two or three thousand from down under.)

Ok, I admit I stood further back in the street for the last photo. It's not as small as it looks but it is demonstrably dwindling... I just wanted it to look as impressive as my lower back feels.

Here's where some of it went. Remember, this is still April. We've just unthawed from winter although everything is MUCH further ahead this year than normally. A couple of more months and these beds will seem just PACKED with perennials and lettuce and beans and tomatoes.

Main veg patch. That's my horehound under glass to the right. You can't see them but the peas have broken through the surface. And there are some veeeeerrrryyyy tiny cilantro, lettuce and arugula sprouts coming along.

Front flower garden. Only a few tulips and bergenia so far but give me a month...

This is beside the back stairs. Again, tulips, euphorbia (yellow centre top) and two measly daffs. The sign says "beware of cat".

Breakfast for the forsythia.

And the periwinkle.

And the former sandbox, pre-compost, soon to be a bean and herb garden.

Sorry for the lousy pictures. It was getting dark. I also have to figure out how to rotate the darn things. 
Cheers,
C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...